During his work In the past two years in the Province of Drenthe, Jan Jacob Hilberdink has found that the internationalisation in this province is on a pitifully low level.
Although the Province of Drenthe has developed an extensive internationalisation program within the framework of 'I am an Entrepreneur from Drenthe', the entrepreneurs in Drenthe show much reluctance to become involved in operations abroad.
By the majority of SMEs innovation, however, is still considered something technical, i.e. product innovation. BIC Drenthe expects to realise a real change of mind by making clear that e.g. exploring foreign markets, integrating the supply chain, becoming sustainable, seeking for cross-sectoral connections, are also ways to innovate.
However, concerning policies on development and growth, the need to give the province of Drenthe an international boast is well recognised and considered to be urgent! The focus of the new initiatives is mainly aimed at increasing the export with Germany. Studies indicate that entrepreneurs from Drenthe are not very familiar with European programmes, incentives and subsidies and if they are aware, they are not inclined to make intensive use of these supportive measures (Innovation Monitor (2016) State University Groningen-SNN).
By the establishment of the brand new BIC Drenthe, we create the indispensable platform, where all stakeholders can perform their activities, varying from incubation, acceleration, innovation, research, entrepreneurship promotion and last but not least the participation in European initiatives. The educational institutes will herein play an important role. The connection between higher vocational education (universities of applied science) and secondary vocational education (MBO) is to be addressed by BIC Drenthe, to enable the provision of excellent craftsmanship in this region, a region that is renowned for its manufacturing industry, its biopolymer production sites and biobased chemical industry.
The following partners are foreseen to participate in BIC Drenthe
- European Business Innovation Centre Network (EBN)
- ‘Ik Ben Drents Ondernemer’ (IBDO - Province of Drenthe)
- NHL Stenden University – Academy of Commerce & International Business
- Incubator/accelerator 'OndernemersFabriek Drenthe' (UK: BusinessFactory)
- MKB Fonds Drenthe (provincial funding organisation)
- NOM - Flick investment agency (Northern Netherlands)
- Kennispoort Drenthe (UK: Knowledge Gate)
- Exportcarrousel Drenthe
- Samenwerkingsverband Noord Nederland (SNN)
- Province of Drenthe
- Municipalities of Assen, Coevorden, Emmen and Hoogeveen
- Dutch tech Zone
- Drentse Export Club
- Enterprise Europe Netwerk (E.E.N.)
- Chamber of Commerce Noord Nederland (KvK)
- Stenden Professionals-
- Green PAC
These people work for Business Innovation Centre Drenthe (foundation)