Industry 4.0 technology commercialistaion is fraught with difficulties: EU|BIC CASTELLÓN provides essential solutions
An interview with Alexandra Badiou, Business Advisor at EU|BIC (CEEI) Castellón
When supporting companies working with Industry 4.0 disruptive technologies, our experience tells us that there will be challenges related to commercialisation. Legal and industrial barriers to biosafety, food safety, and ethics, or if the technology breaks specific industry or cultural laws, are real challenges to be surpassed. Moreover, Industry 4.0 companies need more time (sometimes many years) and more financial support than traditional companies.
EBN: What is your perspective on the rapid technological change and how do you support the innovative companies in their process of digitalisation?
COVID-19 crisis has brought about years of change in the way companies in all sectors and regions that we do business. Innovative companies have accelerated the digitization of their customer and supply-chain interactions and their internal operations. It is crucial for business supporters to adapt and learn, both tactically, in the process of making specific changes to businesses (which technologies to execute, and how), and organizationally (how to manage change).
‘’…the survival rate of our Industry 4.0
companies is higher than others, which
makes us confident that we are doing a good job.’’
EU|BIC Castellón supports Smart Manufacturing, Industry 4.0 companies through various programs:
• ORBITA PROGRAM: acceleration and financial support (6 months). Industry 4.0 companies’ activities related to the space industry, health, blockchain, cybersecurity, biometrics, mobility etc.
• CV INNOVA: open innovation program (6 months). Industry 4.0 companies related with solutions for the logistics sector such as IoT, Big data or blockchain.
• LLAMP AMES: advanced and personalized business consulting for each company, networking (4 months). Deep-tech companies’ activities related to inclusive chatbots, mobility etc.
EBN: What are the critical steps in supporting a company working with Industry 4.0 solutions?
- Personalized business consulting for each Industry 4.0 company and assistance in the processing of public subsidies.Personalized business consulting for each Industry.
- Connect companies from our programs with founders from previous programs and founders at every stage of the startup journey to exchange experiences, ideas, and best practices.
- Use a global network of industry experts to help establish Industry 4.0 as a competitive player.
- Raise visibility (interviews, news, prizes, TV shows).
- Offer virtual and physical spaces for Industry 4.0 companies, including on-site facilities with a dedicated advisor.
EBN: What is the impact of your current Industry 4.0 business support activities for your EU|BIC companies & ecosystem?
What we see is that our activities and programs supporting Industry 4.0 companies are increasingly relevant. A growing number of Industry 4.0 companies seek to join our programmes, ask for business consultation, financial support, or want to rent physical
or virtual space in our facilities.
‘’…finding interesting collaborations is a must
in many Industry 4.0 projects doubled by an
important amount of patience.’’
Notably, the survival rate of our Industry 4.0 companies is higher than others, which makes us confident that we are doing a good job.
EBN: From when you first started until now supporting Industry 4.0 companies, are there any success stories you would like to share?
Industry 4.0 companies’ pathway is not easy. It needs more time and resources than traditional companies, so they need a bigger effort from the EU|BIC community. As a takeaway from our experience, we see that finding interesting collaborations is a must in many Industry 4.0 projects doubled by an important amount of patience. Also, access to finance could be challenging and fitting in public financing programmes.
One of our Industry 4.0 companies, with whom we have a close relationship and who is active in our onsite facilities, is Eyesynth. Eyesynth brings the most powerful assistive technology for totally and partially blind people. It consists of a pair of smart glasses connected to a micro-computer that converts surrounding 3D space into intuitive sounds. The system records the surrounding environment in three dimensions and subsequently, the collected data is converted into understandable audio for the blind. The glasses send images to the micro-computer which processes them in real-time, so the user receives instant feedback. The environment is captured and processed in full 3D. This means Eyesynth product provides depth information as well. Uniquely, it converts all information into a series of sounds that interprets open spaces, shapes and obstacles.
Find the pdf file here